I’ve been a newborn photographer for quite a number of years now, so I understand that preparing for your newborn session is exciting but can sometimes feel a little daunting. To help make the process go a little smoother I have put together a list of the top tips for preparing for your Newborn Session.
- Schedule your session in advance: It is best to arrange your Newborn Photography appointment well in advance of your due date to make certain there is availability. I recommend scheduling your appointment during the first two weeks of birth but I will work around your due date. Baby’s rarely arrive on time and we will adjust your session date accordingly.
- Feed your baby at the start of the session: I always encourage parents to feed baby when they arrive at my studio, as we want baby to be as sleepy as possible. A full baby is a happy and sleepy baby, which helps the session to go smoother.
- Try to keep your baby awake prior to arriving at the studio: This may seem counterintuitive but keeping little one awake for a short while before the session can help them sleep a little better during the session.
- Dress your baby in loose fitting clothing: The reason I ask this is so we avoid any marks or indentations on their skin before the session.
- Bring extra nappies, wipes and feeds: Your baby will be moving around a little more and will possibly be feeding a little more. So it is a good idea to bring spare nappies and wipes to the session.
- Bring any special props or blankets: If you have any items that have special meaning to you, please feel free to bring them along to the session. I love incorporating family heirlooms into your images.
- Choose outfits for yourselves and any siblings: I strongly encourage you to have images taken with your little one as this time of their life is so fleeting. If you plan on being photographed with your newborn during the session choose outfits that compliment each other. I will advise you of what works during your consultation and you will also receive a prep guide with lots of handy information.
- Relax and enjoy the experience: Newborn photography sessions can be a little overwhelming. But it is important to try and relax and enjoy the experience. Trust me to capture the most stunning images of you and your baby.
- Be patient: Newborn photography sessions can take time. We will go at your baby’s pace and allow plenty of time for feeding, changing and settling your baby throughout the session.
Preparing for your newborn photography session can be a little overwhelming. I hope you found my top tips for preparing for your newborn session helpful. You’ll adore the images we capture!
Want to find out more about our newborn sessions or other sessions I offer? Get in touch below I’d love to chat.
All images in this article were taken by Sage and Eve Photography.