Maternity Photo sessions are a unique and special way to capture the true miracle and beauty of your pregnancy. Pregnancy should be a memorable and exciting experience. With this in mind it is important to take your time when selecting your photographer and planning your photoshoot. In this article I will cover all you need to know about Maternity Photoshoots – why having one is so important, how to select the right photographer for you and more.
An introduction into Maternity Photoshoots
Maternity photography sessions are a great way of documenting all of the changes that your body is going through during your pregnancy. They can also be a great bonding experience for yourself and your partner, as well as a beautiful way to document this special time in your lives.
There are many things to consider when planning your photoshoot. Such as finding the right photographer for you. Deciding whether your photoshoot will be studio based or at an outdoor location and the style of photoshoot you want. My hope is that this guide will help you to navigate your way to finding your perfect Maternity Photoshoot to make the most of this amazing time in your life.
What is a Maternity Photoshoot?
A maternity photography session is a photoshoot that celebrates an expectant momma to be whilst capturing the love and joy for her unborn baby. The aim of this type of session is to capture beautiful photographs of your pregnancy that you and your child can look back on in years to come. It is an amazing way to record this extra special milestone in your life as well as a great opportunity to bond with baby before they are even born. By having maternity photos taken, you are able to give your child a view into your world they were never able to see for themselves. It gives them a glimpse into a time when their parents were so excited to meet them.
Why are Maternity Photoshoots so important?
Having a maternity photographs are important for a number of reasons. Firstly, they capture a very special time in your life. Secondly they allow you to capture part of your pregnancy journey and share it with friends and family. Lastly they are a great way to get creative and have some fun during your pregnancy.
How to choose the right photographer for your Maternity Photoshoot.
When you are expecting a baby there’s so much to think about and plan for. But one thing that is often overlooked is scheduling a maternity photoshoot. Choosing the right photographer is crucial to ensuring you have a successful session. When choosing a photographer for your photoshoot it is important to find someone you feel comfortable with and who has experience in photographing pregnant women. I myself have been photographing pregnant women for a number of years now and I absolutely love that I have the ability to make my clients feel comfortable, beautiful and empowered in their session. I pride myself on being able to capture such stunning images of women whilst putting them at ease during the process.
Here are a few things to consider when choosing your photographer:
- Make sure that they specialise in maternity photography. This will ensure that they are experienced in capturing this type of portrait. You want to make sure that they are familiar with how to pose and light pregnant women in order to flatter them and capture stunning images.
- Do your research. Ask around for recommendations or take a look at online portfolios get an idea of a photographers style. Make sure you like their style of photography and does it match up to what your looking for in your maternity photos.
- Get in touch with photographers. Ask to see some examples of their work. Don’t be afraid to ask them questions. Be sure to communicate your vision for your photoshoot clearly, this will help the photographer understand what you are looking for. This is a great way to see if they are the right fit for you.
- Consider pricing. While cost shouldn’t be the only deciding factor, you need to make sure your comfortable with the price before booking your session.
Pregnancy portrait sessions can take place either in a studio or at an urban or rural outdoor location dependent on your unique style. They can be as simple or as elaborate as you like. You can choose to have a more traditional portrait session or go for something a little more creative and unique to you. No matter which style you choose the most important thing is that you feel comfortable and relaxed during your session. With the right photographer you will create beautiful memories that you can proudly display in your home and cherish forever.
Tips for preparing for your Maternity Photoshoot
- Schedule your maternity photo-shoot for when you are around 28-36 weeks pregnant. This is typically when you’ll still be fairly comfortable and have a lovely round belly.
- If you will be wearing your own clothing for your photoshoot, try to choose outfits that make you feel beautiful and highlight your bump. Avoid anything that is too restricting and uncomfortable.
- If you plan on having nude images taken, avoid wearing socks and clothing that will leave marks on your body.
- I always ask my clients to bring a nude and black set of underwear. Ideally a strapless bra works best where possible and thong type underwear to wear under my gorgeous assortment of gowns.
- Make sure to get a goodnights sleep prior to your photoshoot. You want to look and feel your best.
- Don’t forget to hydrate! Pregnancy can be very dehydrating, so it is important to stay well hydrated to help you look great in front of the camera.
- Take this opportunity to pamper yourself a little. Why not book and get your hair and make up done ready for your shoot.
- Don’t forget your nails and toenails and make sure to wax or shave.
- And lastly, relax and enjoy the experience!
Ideas for displaying your Maternity Portraits
So you’ve had your shoot, now what to do with your beautiful images? Here are some great Ideas on what to do with your stunning imagery:
- Display them on your walls. Your portraits will look great on a bespoke piece of wall art. These can be Acrylic Prints, Traditional Frames or Fine Art Canvases. Consider hanging them above your sofa or fireplace or even in your baby’s nursery. If you have had some portraits taken that you don’t want to share for all your visitors to see you can display them discreetly in your bedroom above your bed.
- How about a beautiful heirloom album just for your maternity images, that you can pull out whenever you are feeling nostalgic.
- A baby book or photo box. This is a great way to create a tangible album of memories for your child, that you will be able to add to over the years to document your childs story. Maternity photos are a great start to this story.
- And let’s not forget social media. You’ve had an amazing photoshoot and it is only right that you want to show off your beautiful images and how stunning you look.
To conclude maternity photoshoots are a great way to capture the beauty of motherhood and create lasting memories. With these tips in mind you are now ready to start planning your Maternity Photoshoot. Whether it is for yourself or for someone special to you. Remember that this experience is all about celebrating the miracle of a new life. I hope you enjoyed my ‘A Guide to Maternity Photoshoots’ and were able to take something away from it and if you were wanting to book a Maternity Photoshoot with myself or would like some further information, please get in touch using the form below. I would love to hear from you.
Get in touch
All images displayed in this article ‘A Guide to Maternity Photoshoots’ were taken by Sage and Eve Photography. Gowns pictured in the images were purchased from Mii Estilo and K H Fashion and are available along with many more gowns from my extensive client wardrobe.